ilovemygirls

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

This was fun!



One night my husband said "I wish I still had my Gene Autry watch" - strange really - a grown man wishing he still had his toy watch. I thought though that it would be fun if I could find one on ebay - you know that's the first place I look for almost everything! There was one there and I lost it! Living in the woods with a telephone connection (I now have satellite) there was no way I was able to beat out the other bidders (and there were others!). I was very disappointed - I thought it would be fun to surprise him on his birthday with the watch. So I kept my eye out on ebay and came across another. The seller said that it did keep time but not very well! OK - good enough - especially since it was still in the original box - made in 1948 - it was a real find! This time I watched it carefully and beat out the other bidders! I won't even tell how much it cost - I'd be embarrassed! (and I don't want Matt to see how bad I really am!) So the watch came and the next time I headed into the city (New York - of course! - what other city is there?) I ran around from place to place trying to find someone who could make it work. No way - no one was going to touch this toy - it was a lost cause. I was very disappointed but knew that at least I could resell it on ebay and hopefully get most of my money back. I quickly sold it to some guy and was happy to have gotten back my investment. Isn't ebay great?! I sent it right out and happily put my money back into my account. A week went by and then I heard from my buyer. It has been a very rare thing for anyone to return anything - but it does happen once in awhile. What was his complaint - he said that I made the pictures make the box look better than it was! Gee - I'm not a professional photographer and afterall - that box is one year younger than I am - how good was it going to look after all of those years? I don't look new either......(ha ha smirk smirk). So I told him to send it back and of course I refunded his money. Along came Gerry's birthday (New Year's Eve) and along with whatever else I bought him I did give him the watch. HE LOVED IT! Couldn't have been happier.
What was I thinking selling this thing?
He did manage to find a jeweler who got it working - changed the band and wears it often. He has had it to the Grand Central Watch Repair many times - whenever it doesn't work properly - back it goes. So - maybe the reason this watch came back to me is because it really could have been his in the first place - don't they say "whatever goes around comes around" is this what that means?

And the watch lived happily ever after..........a boy and his toy!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a fan of toys (I still take out my dolls and play with them every so often and I'm 32), I completely understand Gerry's love for his watch. You are a wonderful wife and an excellent present-giver! And VERY hip for having a blog =)

5:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this story. My husband loves his toys too! Don't we all? In an odd sort of way ebay is a toy isn't it? Long ago when catalogs came everyone would huddle around and read them for hours. It was pure entertainment---right in your own home. Now we are inundated with catalogs, but at ebay we can "win" what we want if we know how to bid! Buying becomes winning, and of course we all know that winning is fun, as of course is shopping! Love your blog!

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home