ilovemygirls

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night........



























I just never know what is going to be in the boxes that I receive from my wonderful ladies......I received a huge box of the most wonderful (brand new with tags) of clothing from this one gal. Everything great and all doing so well on ebay. At the bottom of the box was a brown suede bag from The J. Peterman Company in Lexington, Kentucky. It was covered with stains but still a fabulous bag. I complained to my husband about the shame of the stains and he quickly took it away........when he brought it back - perfect! I don't know how he did it - but he got the stains off and in return I was given this fabulous bag to sell on ebay.

I listed the bag the other night
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110012750508&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

and quickly received this message from a great ebayer (they're most of them great!)......


" I used to Asst. Manage the store in NY, LI and I just thought it might be helpful to give you some insider information about the bag. This is the original Magazine Messanger bag and the key thing to this bag is the material. It's treated leather. It was designed to look exquisite, fresh and new but the key is to what's in the leather. You are supposed to scratch it everywhere. This releases the oils that help keep the material better longer and it also releases oils to protect it from the rain. It was designed after the pony express days when the oil treated leather wouldn't get the mail wet inside. The story goes that the first day you admire it. The second day you scratch it and feel horrible. The third and fourth days you feel horribe but you begin to feel the differance. After scratching it everyday for one week you scratch it once a week till you reach a month than you scratch it once every month for 1 year and finally for once a year for every year. :)"

Isn't that great! This is another thing that I love so much about ebay - how someone I don't know in this entire world will email me and give me this great piece of information.

And so - now we know why our mail comes to us dry and in perfect condition (ha ha ha) - no, I really do appreciate the post office. Ebay has taught me how wonderful the postal system is. I ship everything through the post office and everything (just about) gets where it is supposed to and in one piece (I did have someone receive only one shoe last week!!!!).

And now, if you're wondering how the rest of the story goes........
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

If you have any interest in where or how this post office motto came from please check out http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/post-office-motto.html


4 Comments:

Blogger Mattyd said...

Loved this post. Fun, informative, well written.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Mattyd said...

hey, it just occurred to me. Your blog is titled ilovemygirls4. This includes your 2 daughters, your 2 dogs, but not me! Your dogs got a place in your blog name but your new son did not!

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent story! That's amazing that someone would take the time to send that info to you.
Funny thing: As Matt was reading this post he told me that he never knew that J. Peterman was a real company. He thought it was just a Seinfeld thing...
hee...hee...I guess I still have a lot to teach him about shopping!

8:07 AM  
Blogger mygirls4 said...

I love you Matty-must get used to BOYS - It's been just GIRLS all these years. What would you suggest? ilovemygirls/boy (maybe next time)......

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home