ilovemygirls

Monday, January 22, 2007

I don't get it!

Lots of things sold over the weekend - things get very slow right around Christmas/New Year and then it takes a few weeks to get the momentum up again. By now, the third week in January sales are back to normal. That's good - I'm so happy to be busy with ebay.

What I don't understand though is why someone would bid and win something knowing the exact shipping cost and then AFTER they win the item send an email asking......what is the cost WITHOUT insurance?

I will not send anything out WITHOUT insurance! What happens if it doesn't get there? Am I really going to believe that the buyer will take full responsibility? No - I don't think so. Unless she/he gets their money back they will leave NEGATIVE feedback. They will say that they didn't receive the item and they didn't get their money back! I will insure an item that goes out for $9.99!

The cost of insurance is really not high and it seems like such an easy bit of protection against loss. Luckily very few things have been lost - once a shoe actually came out of the box. I did get the money back and was easily able to refund the buyer! That will never happen again - I will never trust the USPS sticky boxes to remain closed anymore. Now they get taped everywhere!

The only other time that something was not received was a stainless watchband - the tracking info did show that the item was received by the person's post office and she was able to collect the insurance at her end. Of course she wanted the watchband and was terribly disappointed - but at least she did not wind up without the band and her money!

So please, if you have a question regarding seller's costs or policies regarding shipping - please ask the question BEFORE the auction is over - NOT after you WIN IT!

THANKS!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara,
Interesting reading about the internatl. shipping...I usually limit buyers to US & Canada. I just sent a Moschino handbag to a lady in Italy. GPM was not available so I sent it insured, , Internatl. parcel post...It will be interesting to see how that works out...after reading your blogs about shipping, it is enough to make one quit selling !!
I do include in my listings in capital letters, that shipping insurance & delivery confirmation are REQUIRED and are included in shipping fees. I have had only 1 potential buyer quibble with that & I had one buyer complain in her positive feedback that the shipping was too high.Hers was a bit high, but she got a new Eric Javits handbag (for $22.50) stuffed with tissue, wrapped in tissue & mailed within 2 hrs of her payment. ( I had also shipped an Icon handbag to Carmel, CA that week and the shipping cost me $19.60 !!) I agree with you---shipping insurance costs very little & ensures that no one is out of pocket if something bad happens. (although it sounds as though your recent experiences prove that not to be the case ! )
Hope those experiences don't repeat for you. ebaying IS fun, but sometimes I wonder if the time taken to measure, describe, answer questions & then pay ebay fees, paypal fees & shipping fees is worth it....The really wonderful buyers we 'meet' make up for most of the negative aspects.
Love your blog, love your descriptions & your wonderful items for sale !
Ruth Anne LeGrand (Southern Girl )

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home