ilovemygirls

Monday, November 05, 2007

Thanks Jill from the UK

One of the things that I really love about ebay is the contact between people you have never met and will never meet.

But there they are - ready to offer an opinion or help you out when you ask a question. I love it!

Ebay is good for me because I love clothing and I love people - it brings them all together.


I have a wonderful scarf from Hermes up for auction - item #1101861267242

Jacques Endel HORSE Auth HERMES SILK Scarf/Shawl 35"

The scarf says
"
Couvertures et tenues de Jour pour l'ecurie, l'attente et la presentation" on it and I went to the internet for a transliteration of that - this is what I got:
Coverages and held by Day for the ecurie, wait and the presentation

But my friend who speaks fluent french says "it has something to do with a coverage, or a blanket or a poncho that you might wear for the presentation of your horse or perhaps for the horse to wear when it is being presented"

So I asked any ebayer if they knew what it meant and today I got this response:
















Hi, in the UK we would call this a prize for "Best turned out". It is awarded to the groom whose horse is considered to have been prepared to the highest standards of grooming and presentation at an equine event. As it says "due jour", these must have been awarded every day over a series of days with different recipient each day. Couverture is French for "horserug". I own this scarf in a different color and have yet to discover which particular event they were awarded at - let me know if you find out!
Jill in the UK

So - THANK YOU Jill in the UK - I really appreciate it.

Check out my ebay ilovemygirls3


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello - I have this scarf in a different color (it belonged to my late mother who requested that I sell it on eBay). However, I am not sure how to determine a fair asking price. I believe that there was a reprint in the '90's, but this scarf is from the '50's or 60's. I have seen the item sell on a couple of auction sites for $500, but your link has expired and I would like to be realistic. Also, the scarf appears to be creased, but in good condition (What do I know?). Do you recommend that I have it cleaned or pressed? Thank you so much, in advance. Sincerely, Roger in CA

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home