ilovemygirls

Saturday, October 13, 2007

I'm learning so much!

Ebay has really opened up an interesting world for me. I meet a lot of wonderful people - people from all over the world. That has been a lot of the fun for me! But another thing that is happening is that I'm learning a lot of new things.

One of my wonderful women gave me a lot of wonderful jewelry to sell - I can't just LIST these items without learning about them first. In order to sell them properly I have to know exactly what I'm selling.

So - I'll share some of what I've learned in the last few days.....














The first piece is a piece by Michael Zobel

This is quite a piece! Very sophisticated hand fabricated neck pendant/pin with matching earrings. Over 10 cts rough cut & cut diamonds. Made up of Platinum, yellow, pink and white gold. Pendant can be removed from neck piece to be worn as a pin.

Beautiful ROUGH CUT DIAMONDS set into 18k GOLD and PLATINUM
Pendant/Pin Diamond weight-10.86 cts Each earring .08 ct diamonds

Zobel, whose use of unconventional metals and materials has gained him international fame, is best known for designs featuring abstract forms layered with different colors and textures. He utilizes everything from gold and platinum to exotic stones and wood, and even classical gems such as diamonds and pearls assume a modern edge in his hands.

Zobel creates his distinctive and sophisticated pieces in quiet Constance, Germany, an idyllic village situated between the Black Forest and the Swiss Alps, where he has a workshop and jewelry gallery. “I’m happiest at my workbench,” he says, “where I can experiment with metal and stones and see where it leads me.”

The value of these 3 pieces is about $12,000 - I'm waiting for the appraisal from the artist. I hope to have it soon.

Next is a wonderful handcarved CAMEO

Handcarved LAVA* Cameo with GOLD SNAKECHAIN 14-1/4” drop from chain
Cameo set in handmade bezel - heavy gold setting – beautifully done 2-5/8” high x 2” wide -
Markings on back – 750
It looks like the piece is set in 18k and the chain is 14k
*During the Victorian era, wealthy families traveled throughout Europe on an extended vacation known as the Grand Tour. One popular stop on the Grand Tour was the ruins of Pompeii. As a souvenir of their travels, wealthy wanderers would often purchase lava cameos for themselves and also as gifts for loved ones back home. The cameos often portrayed historical statesmen, philosophers and dignitaries.

Lava has been a popular choice for carvers since the 17th century, but the abundance of this limestone material came from Mt. Vesuvius during the nineteenth century. One can say with a great deal of certainty that a large majority of lava cameos originated in the nineteenth century.

Mt. Vesuvius provided an abundance of lava in many colors that carvers used to design intricate carvings. Lava was a soft, delicate substance. The work of talented carvers produced breathtaking high relief works of art in portraiture and classical scenes.

The cameos made from lava were less expensive and appealed to ladies who traveled to Italy. Women treasured these compact souvenirs and liked the status of wearing jewelry that showed that they had been on the Grand Tour.

That's it for today - I'll show you some other pieces tomorrow.
She really gave me such wonderful things - and I'm enjoying learning about them.
Wait 'til you see some of the other things...

Check out my ebay site ilovemygirls3
THANKS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home