ilovemygirls

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What would you do?


I have now worked 8 years building a successful eBay business. Things like this just do not happen on their own. One thing led to another which led to another - I believe that is how a lot of things happen.
What I have developed is a business based on trust and honesty - on my part, the buyer's and the consignors. There are so many fakes out there and I have to know the people who are giving me their things to sell. I have to have trust in them that they would never, knowingly, give me a FAKE to sell.
100% feedback after 8 years is a big accomplishment and I really do take pride in it. I received (from a consignor in England) a beautiful Louis Vuitton cashmere and silk scarf. In the LV box and a certificate of authenticity (and in a black shiny pouch). It was truly gorgeous and felt so good. So why was I somewhat concerned about the authenticity? I was concerned because this consignor buys a lot of things on eBay. I know how careful I am when I am buying something like this on eBay - the homework that I do before buying something like this. But I have no idea where this gal got this scarf - although I must say - it is beautiful and feels so good. Generally I have a pretty good idea of what to look for in a handbag or scarf. I sell so many Hermes scarves but I am totally unfamiliar with this style of LV scarf. All that I knew was that it sure was beautiful, felt good and seemed fine. I did try reaching my consignor, but she seems to be unavailable right now. I think that she is in Turkey. I listed the scarf. The dilemma is that my buyers trust me. They trust me because over the last 8 years I have worked very hard to build that trust. I am a Top Rated Seller and only 1% of all eBayers are Top Rated. I take this very seriously. I listed the scarf as a 7 day auction - something that I don't usually do. Because I really didn't know a fair price for the scarf I felt that was the way to go - let the eBayers determine the final price. Bidding began immediately and with 3 days left to go, it was already over $200 with approximately 50 people watching. Good or Bad? Well, frankly I was becoming more and more uncomfortable. People were asking if I could prove authenticity - I could not! They were asking if I had the receipt - I did not! and then I received this email from another ebayer.........

Dear ilovemygirls3, Hi, I was looking at all of the lovely designer items that you are selling and came across the scarf and spotted it as a fake straight away. I then saw your feedback and thought you might not know that it is fake and can be purchased online for $25.00. A genuine LV scarf comes only with a cotton dust bag and no "authentication" paperwork (this can be verified at fashionpearlsogwisdom.com. The tag should be black with gold writing not orange, it should also be smooth and flat and held on with 2 fine stitches. It is always a pleasure to see such honest sellers. Regards,





What would you have done?
I immediately removed the listing from eBay. The thought that I could be selling a FAKE was very distasteful for me. Frightening too! I take this selling very seriously and the thought that I would be passing off a fake as real - well, that doesn't fly. The most amazing part of this story is that you would be amazed at how many people were begging me for the scarf - real or fake - they didn't care! They just wanted this scarf. I was offered as much as $220 for the scarf - off of eBay - real or not! What would you have done?

note: Just heard from my consignor - she is in AFRICA, not Turkey :)
Hi B
Just got your email. I am in Africa 1st time in a week with internet. Do you really think I would knowingly send you this as real if it is fake? All I can say is that I paid a lot of money for it on ebay and bought it as real thing!

Well, I hope that she is having a great trip and I never believed for one second that she would EVER send me anything thinking it was FAKE - NEVER!


Check out my listings - all authentic top of the line items :)


Babsy's Closet

1 Comments:

Blogger Elysha said...

It sounds like you did the right thing--the only thing you could! What was the outcome here? Were you ever able to get to the bottom of it?

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home