ilovemygirls

Thursday, August 23, 2007

I love CLOTHING!

I can’t remember exactly when I started loving clothing – but I do remember figuring out each morning just what I was going to wear to school that day. Even if it involved pulling out a pair of stockings from my mothers top drawer. When did she actually figure out what was happening to her dwindling supply? As angry as she would be over things I don’t remember her being angry about that. Perhaps I’ve blocked it out!

We didn’t have opaque tights in those days – just socks or stockings! And don’t forget the garters – Boy – I sound like someone’s grandmother! (and don’t I wish!!). In those days when you needed extra warmth my mother made me wear pants under my skirt – no pants to school remember! Nothing could be more embarrassing than that!

I remember throwing my hat on before I would round the corner home – if my mother saw me without my hat I’d be in BIG trouble.

But getting up and getting dressed for school always involved the same thought that I have every morning now (only now with a closet full of amazing clothing it’s much easier) – what to wear? I had some wonderful things in my closet that were gifts from my Aunt May. All of them from B. Altman & Co. Mohair sweaters, plaid skirts – how lucky was I. She bought me some of the best things that I had in my closet.

So a skirt, a blouse and a sweater (probably with knee socks) was the general choice. The only particular things that I still see in my minds eye are the things that were gifts from Auntie May.

I do remember my mother always dressing us up on Easter Sunday. Black and White houndstooth coat, white straw hat with ribbon, fancy dress, black patent Mary Jane’s (black patent is the THING of the moment right now), little white socks. So here we were – both of us, my sister and I all dressed up but no where to go! We were Jewish! What do we have to do with Easter! Why were we all dressed up? Then my mother would cry because we had nowhere to go!

Clothing was important to both of my parents – they always looked pretty wonderful. My mother was a beautiful woman and my father took great pride in her good looks. He was pretty natty himself. We weren’t rich by any means – but we always had to look a certain way. When my mom passed away it was very important to pick out just the right outfit for her very last trip – she looked beautiful and we felt good knowing we sent her off looking just the way she would like. Crazy? Perhaps – but it has always left me with a good feeling knowing that she would have been pleased.

Today is the best though – working in this store has given me access to clothing I would otherwise never be able to buy. I love the quality of wellmade clothing, the fabrics and the style. I love walking into my closet and always being able to put my hand on just the right thing.

So clothing it is – my biggest vice – and I have such a good time with it.

Find some wonderful things to wear today - check out my ebay site ilovemygirls3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home