ilovemygirls

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Loehmann's

In the last week two people have talked to me about Loehmann's - both remembering going with their mom's to the original store in Brooklyn. I remember crawling around under the racks while my mom shopped and they seem to remember the same thing.

One gal said "
my mother shopped there too, and I climbed on the giant lions and crawled around under the clothes. The little boys who accompanied their mothers tried to get a peek at the ladies in their underwear, since there were no dressing rooms in the original Loehmanns, only a very ancient Mrs. L. who sat on a throne on the second floor, shriveled and dressed in black, and always looked like the Wicked Witch of the West. My mother, who was very dressy, said she had been coming to the store since she was young. Mrs. L. started buying up designer overstock during the Depression, with cash hidden in her bloomers, I'm told. If she didn't like you, she threw you out; if she did, she occasionally gave you a better deal, because you looked so good. At least that is what passed into family lore. I would say that that's where I got my start, just like you!"

The other gal talked about the lions too - something I have no memory of.

But the shame is - there is really no more Loehmann's - not like that anyway! Even about 25 years ago I used to go to Loehmann's with my neighbor. That was the good thing about living on Long Island (the only thing that was good for me) - there were so many - we would go from the North Shore to the South Shore from Loehmann's to Loehmann's. Sometimes my arms would be so full of wonderful things - it would be hard to make choices. But somewhere along the line - within the last 12 years (I would say) Loehmann's was bought by some other company and that was the end of being able to find something wonderful. After that it was just another junk store (in my opinion anyway) and that seems to be the problem with so many of these "outlets" - they are actually producing merchandise to sell in their stores. Ralph Lauren has so many outlet stores it would be impossible to stock them with "real" merchandise. Just their crummy towels and sheets - and things being made to sell in these stores. This is not the leftovers from the unbelieveable Madison Avenue store in New York City. Where are the good things going?

This is what makes EBAY so wonderful - this is now the place to find the fabulous deals and bargains! Someone bought a brand new $1500 Bottega from me yesterday for $675! I have a gorgeous Loro Piana Black leather handbag to list along with a fabulous Black Balenciaga Motorcycle bag - both given to me the other day to list.

I'm sure that there are still some great outlets - but I don't know about them. We have outlets nearby my home - but it's all the same everywhere - COACH, J CREW, GAP - nothing special - no wonderful fabulous finds!

Have a comment? Know a great place for great deals? Leave it here........


Please check out my items on ebay....right here!......




3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Century 21? I haven't been there since it reopened after 9/11. I think it's about time for a mother/daughter trip...

6:16 PM  
Blogger mygirls4 said...

ahhhh - that sounds like a good idea! LOVE YOU!

6:38 PM  
Blogger KO said...

I agree there are really no good outlet stores anymore. When our outlets first opened I found the best stuff at Polo. I bought towles there that I have had for about 7 years! The ones I bought last year are all stringy and and starting to fall apart, definatly not the same merchandise. I can do better at HomeGoods. The same goes for my store, in the last year or so they have started making things that appear only in factory stores (not that I should say this but it is obvious) I only buy the pieces that come directly from a full price store to us now and surprisingly most of that stuff goes into clearance. But I really do not shop at the outlets at all except to get my designer shades from sunglass hut. Ebay certainly is the best place for deals and living in berkshire county it is the best place for me to find anything designer. That is why I LOVE your items!

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home