ilovemygirls

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Christmas in New York

Christmas in New York City

There’s no question that
Christmas in NYC is really special!
There is a huge lit up snowflake in the air at 57th Street & Fifth Avenue – at night – it’s totally amazing!

The tree is Rockefeller Center is great – as is the ice skating rink and all of the restaurants around it. My daughter and I had lunch at the Sea Grill today and it was great! Dinner at Balthazar was even better!

We ran around doing all kinds of errands – many of them
Christmas and Holiday related. Definitely fun!

BUT – I really find the excess of it all just too much. We stopped at
Victoria’s Secret (I haven’t been in there in years) and I just couldn’t believe my eyes. We went to the one at 34th Street & 7th Avenue. It’s HUGE! Really HUGE! I can’t even imagine how they get all of those Christmas decorations hung up from what seems to be the sky! And the cost of that decorating must be enormous! There were so many people there – all buying this STUFF! There was a box you could buy for $10 (I guess you buy it to put a gift card in) – it was silver, it closed with a magnet and had a little pink teddy bear in it! Now – please tell me – WHO NEEDS THIS? The gift card – well, you can buy yourself some pretty underwear – but the box with the teddy? Another THING!

Look, I’m as guilty as the next guy – I have more STUFF than lots of people I know (which is why I started selling on ebay) – but I’m really beginning to understand that we just don’t need so much STUFF.

They actually had a gray flannel star with a hole in it for what I guess was a small bottle of perfume! Does this make sense to you?

Sorry – I hate to be the old
SCROOGE at Christmas time – but it just seems like people spend tons of money of lots of stuff that no one really needs or wants!

Luckily for me, I really do not buy many gifts. My husband’s birthday is December 31st – so he gets a combined gift – I already gave my daughter’s their presents and I have one all packed and ready for my son-in-law. THAT’S IT – oh, and something for my mother-in-law! So my shopping is done.

BUT Christmas is beautiful in New York and I’m sure in many other places as well. I wish the war will end and that our boys and girls can come home – and then perhaps
Christmas won’t seem as silly to me! It would just be nice for the world to be a better place – what better Christmas gift would that be for everyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home