ilovemygirls

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Those DAMN PILLS!

No - not your prescriptions! The PILLS on our fabulous cashmere sweaters! After all - after spending a ton on a sweater we just don't want to see those little pills! How awful! But - you know what - it doesn't matter how much you have spent on that sweater - it's going to happen AND if you are carrying a handbag on your shoulder and you're not wearing a coat - it's going to be really bad where the bag rubbed along it! Sorry!

Sometimes people assume because they have paid over $1000 for a cashmere sweater they will be saved from those little devils - but no - it's going to happen no matter what. SO - we have to deal with it - first - you're better off washing your cashmeres in the sink or in the machine if you have a good one with a gentle cycle - the dry cleaner is really not the answer for our good knits. I like to send mine to the dry cleaner at the beginning of each season so that they can "de-pill" them for me. But however good they do - it's not good enough.

You really have to do it yourself - sorry!

You can buy that battery operated thing from a place like Linens and Things or I just found this online THE STONE - it looks interesting and I think I will buy one. For $5.95 it seems like a good deal - let's order it right now!

Here is a site that I found that might be helpful for all of us - it tells us how to wash and care for our cashmeres along with information about things we can buy to remove those lousy little pills! I am going to print it out for myself - perhaps you will find it useful too! CASHMERE CARE

This is an email that I received from someone who bought a fabulous $1500 100% cashmere shawl for $300.......

"I received the shawl and sent it to the cleaners. I hope to enjoy it. I was sorry to see that there was no tag, although I believe it is cashmere.

It was a bit pilly when it arrived, so I hope I can restore it to a better condition.

Anyway, thank you and I wish you all the best."

First - I really appreciate that she was friendly - BUT she has no concerns - it is indeed 100% cashmere - it was a fabulous deal and a really beautiful piece. She will be happy with it - totally. But what I don't understand is why someone would pay $300 for something that cost at least $1500 when new (and believe me, this was in great condition) and think that it should be in BRAND NEW condition when she buys it. Come on - you know when you buy something like this on ebay that it has been worn - it is not BRAND NEW! It is in the condition as described - "very good condition" and that you would want to clean it - NO MATTER WHAT! After all - someone else did wear it - this was certainly made clear from the very beginning.

So - she got a great deal - it is a beautiful shawl - 100% cashmere (excellent quality) and will really be LIKE NEW after it is cleaned and de-pilled - but let me make it clear - the pills were not bad - it was like any of our things....just needs a tiny bit of work.

So do me a favor - when you buy something on ebay and you know that it is not new - don't expect it to be! Know what you're buying and the condition BEFORE you bid - that way you won't be disappointed. NEW WITH TAGS means BRAND NEW - if it's not - please don't expect it to be. AND - when you buy a $1500 shawl (or anything else for that matter) for $300 - realize that you got a great deal and BE HAPPY!

Please check out my listings on ebay! ilovemygirls3

THANKS!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read your post(thanks
for your great and funny writing by the way) about cashmere
pilling. As a long time collector of cashmere--30 years--the
BEST solution for pilling is to use a high quality soft bristled
hair/clothes brush that you reserve only for using with
cashmere, gently brush DOWN the length of the knit--one
direction only. Presto----the pills are gone. A mason pearson
hairbrush works well, but best of all is a clothes brush from one
of those antique silver or ivory dresser sets. Try it, i don't think
you will be dissapointed!

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home