ilovemygirls

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Wetern Union - yes or no?

I don't know anything about Western Union - I guess I remember Western Union from when I was a kid - boy - if someone received a Western Union telegraph - well, I think the fear was that it was going to be BAD NEWS! Then as I got older - it had a better reputation - you would receive a telegram on a birthday or holiday! Remember what they looked like? With the lines of type that looked pasted on the paper? Things you might have saved in a scrapbook having received one for a special occasion. At some point Western Union might have been used if you needed money - I certainly never ever sent a Western Union telegram to anyone - and probably thought that they were no longer in business.

Somewhere along the line though I did become aware that Western Union was still in business. I was going to buy something from someone in China and he asked me to send the money via Western Union. When I looked online - there it was - Western Union - major site - and I went ahead to try to make my payment. Lots of information to fill out - it took lots of time - then when I was finished I got a message telling me that I had to call them to complete the payment. I called and spoke to someone who wanted to know if I knew the person personally - NO I did not, I said and the person told me that I could not make the payment! That seemed strange to me because why would they care if I chose to take my chances? I guess there are things about this that I just don't understand.

I don't remember how the payment actually got made - but that was my one experience with Western Union.

The other day someone from Russia asked me if I would take Western Union for an item that I have listed on ebay. I thought "why not" - and told her that if Western Union were to send me the check and if the check cleared the bank I would send the package. I did not hear from her again but I did receive this comment from another ebayer.....

Hi, I saw your response for a western union.. ebay says don't take western union..you'll be ripped off by thieves. Be very careful.. don't send anything with out verification from a bank.. and or pay pal. I almost lost an 800 dollar necklace due to fraud with western untion. JMHO. :) Rox

So - I thank ROX - and won't take Western Union. I learn something every day! I really don't understand why it should be a problem if you receive the check and wait for your bank to let you know that the check has cleared before you send out the item.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home